Thursday, June 5, 2008

The Tale of My First Day!

It's official. 
I've got the badge with my picture on it and I've got a desk with a computer. 
I showed up to my first day EARLY by about 15 minutes, at 9:45. I wasn't really sure what to expect, but luckily my boss is not intimidating. I got my picture taken by  lovely woman at the reception desk and she made me my own Emap ID card so that I can get in the building without being stared at. I spent the majority of the day "shadowing" my boss as he went through some designs for next weeks issue of Retail Week. I was really excited when lunch time came because my boss (his name is Michael Sullivan, by the way) took me to a pub up the street and bought me a pizza and a beer. We met two other people that work at other emap magazines and they told me some of the great places I need to make sure to visit while I am here. I am trying to pick up on the British sense of humor and slang, so I am assuming over time that will come. As for now, I laugh when everyone else laughs and I try to restrain from my usual sarcastic comments/hilarious comments and infamous "one-liners" as Caitlin would say (namedrop!). haha
By the way, I have YET to talk to my good friend Caitlin McGraw because she is always doing things like hanging out with Beth or going to the dentist when I try to call. This needs to change missy!
Ok, so after lunch=back to work. I sat down at my desk and Michael had me go through one of the feature pages we were working on earlier, and design it 3 different ways for practice. After I printed them out, he edited them and I made alterations. I already created something today that I can put in my portfolio! The great thing is that by the end of the summer not only will I have a hard copy portfolio, but I will have .pdf files of everything I have made. THIS=A JOB. yes....
Oh, I forgot to mention my co-workers. I sort of feel like this summer could be an episode of the MTV smash hit "The Hills." The girl that sits next to me is Julie. The very first thing she said to me when I sat at me desk was, "Ok, so I have lotion, lip gloss, tea, really whatever you want so feel free to ask!" And she pulled all of these things out as she was telling me them. She is a young blonde too, so you can never go wrong with that. Needless to say, I'm excited. 
So, I guess going to the wrong building on the first day turned out to be worth it.
Unfortunately it took me over an hour to get home via the tube because of rush hour and impatience. Therefore, I decided to order a book through Amazon UK because it was really cheap to ship to me and I saw an AD for it today. The book is by the author of The Devil Wears Prada, and it is called Chasing Harry Winston. I figure I will be having alot of time to kill on the tube each morning! Why not read an intellectual novel. 
Oh, by the way, we visited Parliament and the BBC yesterday. It was cool, but not even close to being as exciting as my first day of work, so if you are really curious than I'll send you a personal email. 

OK! here I go:
-I have a badge that I can wear around my neck
-Blondes have lots of fun (no offense, please!)
-I got asked about the presidential election today.....yeekes.....
-I am going to read a book soon, or at least start one. It's been a while....
-Everyone really does say "cheers!" for everything!
-NEVER give the peace sign....

CHEERS!
-Christy

No comments: